Commercial trucks take up a lot of space on the nation's roadways. While most truckers will do whatever it takes to remain safe and avoid trouble, there are others who don't think twice about the decisions they make.
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you should always be aware of any trucks that are on the road around you. Along with this, it's essential to have a clear understanding of why commercial truck accidents happen.
Here are some of the top causes of these crashes:
- Lack of training with respect to defensive driving and technique
- Reckless driving, which can include everything from speeding to swerving in and out of traffic
- Unrealistic schedules set by the trucking company, often leading to drivers who care about nothing more than reaching their destination
- Distracted driving, such as texting, listening to the radio or conversing with a passenger
- Drowsy driving, which often comes about when a person spends too many hours on the road
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
There are many reasons why commercial truck accidents happen, and you need to become familiar with each and every one. This is no guarantee that you will never be part of a crash, but it can help put you in a better place.
If a commercial truck strikes your vehicle, do your best to move to safety. From there, call 911 so that police and an ambulance arrive on the scene as quickly as possible.
Once you receive treatment and have an idea of the long-term impact of the crash, turn your attention to your legal rights. Depending on the circumstances, there are things you can do to hold the trucker and/or trucking company accountable. This could lead you to a situation in which you're able to receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.